Game One Goes to Detroit

Saturday, May 30, 2009


The anticipated series between the Detroit Redwings and the Pittsburgh Penguins has begun and game one is in the books. Detroit took this game 3-1, and it seemed as though only a few players on the Penguins decided to show up to the game.

The first period was pretty calm for a Stanley Cup Final game and it was for the most part evenly played by both clubs. There were good chances early but defenseman Brad Stuart started off the scoring by putting the Red Wings up 1-0. About five minutes later, the score was tied when Ruslan Fedotenko found the rebound from an Evgeni Malkin shot at the point to put it in the back of the net. The score at the end of twenty minutes was 1-1 with shots at 11-7 in Detroit's favor.

The Penguins got back to back powerplays in the first ten minutes of the second period, but capitalizing on chances in neither. Although there were no goals, they created some beautiful scoring chances and the game had picked up a bit. The crowd erupted when goaltender Chris Osgood saved a breakaway opportunity for Malkin, keeping the score tied at one. With about seven minutes remaining, the Pens seemed to apply more pressure than they had the whole game, but quickly the momentum shifted to the Red Wings side. The last four to five minutes was all Detroit, and they were rewarded for their hard work with a goal, with less than a minute left to play in the period. Johan Franzen put them up 2-1 with his eleventh of the playoffs. Besides a few, typical scrums, this game hasn't been nearly as physical as I thought it would be.

Detrot kept the pressure heading into the start of the third and what do you know, within 2:46 they have a two goal lead on the Pens. Justin Abdelkader scored his first NHL goal, with the assist going to Ville Leino, who scored his first NHL point. The blame shouldn't be put on goalie Marc-Andre Fleury himself though, because it was the whole team who kept breaking down defensively. After the Abdelkader goal, it was mostly back and forth action until about the ten minute mark when Pittsburgh kicked it up a notch, spending some time in the Red Wings zone.

Even though the Penguins are a highly offensive team, watching the game it seemed as if they were nervous. I knew if they couldn't get back within one goal before there was under five minutes left, that it was going to be tough. The signs just weren't going the Penguins way, as they got many scoring chances and just couldn't capitalize. Sure enough, Detroit won their eighth straight game one. Game two is Sunday night, same place and same time. Fleury stopped 27 of 30 shots while Osgood made 31 saves.

Best Player of the Game: Chris Osgood.

6 comments:

Toad268 said...

Yes, this was a game of bounces. To be exact, three of them. All leading to Detroit goals. I believe that this game will prove to be the easiest for the Wings. They will see a whole new level of tenacity and drive in game two tomorrow night. I also don't see too many changes from our perspective. I like how we played. I don't like the back to backs, but it is out of our hands. I have confidence that the Pens will prevail. Don't worry.

Read more » http://www.everythingpittsburgh.net/blogs/EP.php/2009/05/30/a-game-of-bounces#more139

Anonymous said...

Nice article, as usual. I look for more of the same tonight, Detroit has been very good at home. The back to back games is something I like also. Keeps the intensity up in my opinion. Keep up the good work though!

The Puck Stops Here said...

Thanks :) I would think it'll be more physical tonight, more so for Pittsburgh. I think the Penguins can steal one in Detroit =p

Anonymous said...

That game was crazy last night. Lots of hitting, even by Crosby. I loved that center ice hit he made. The Penguins need to step up in this game tonight and hammer the net more. They were doing too much dump and chase last night and getting checked hard for it. I'm looking for a lot more of the not so famous Penguins to step it up tonight :) I wanna see Staal be the star.

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Hailey. I think you might actually be teaching me something with this stuff, which is quite a feat!! Well done.
AmandaLyn

The Puck Stops Here said...

Chad: I agree, hopefully the Pens can get on the board first & early and just keep the pressure on from there. Staal? hm, sounds good to me :)

AmandaLyn: thankyou! I'm glad. I hope you learn a lot about hockey by my blogs, that's a compliment.

Post a Comment

I appreciate any comments you have. I try to respond to them all :) thankyou

 
◄Design by Pocket